Day 21: In Song Cry, from Jay-Z’s The Blueprint album, Hov raps about enjoying a lavish brunch at the Four Seasons.
Recreate this lux eggs Benedict with plant based ingredients for all of the taste, without cholesterol.
Vegan ‘Eggs’ Benedict
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 8 slices of extra-firm tofu (about half a block)
- Soy sauce
- 4 vegan English muffins, sliced and toasted
- 8 servings of your favorite faux breakfast meat, cooked according to package instructions
- Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. vegan mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. vegan margarine, melted
- 1 Tbsp. spicy brown mustard
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1/2 cup plain soy milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- Sauté the spinach in 1 teaspoonful of olive oil. Set aside.
- Fry the tofu in the remaining teaspoonful of olive oil and the soy sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Combine all remaining ingredients and heat over a stove top or in a microwave to make a Hollandaise sauce.
- Layer your Benedict starting with one half of an English muffin. Top with sautéed spinach, then faux-meat, and then finally a slice of tofu.
- Heat in the oven for about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Pour the Hollandaise over your layered “eggs” Benedict and serve immediately.