Aside from the simple ingredients, you’ll need a pie press to create the heart space (I purchased this one for $6 at Target).
If you don’t like, or you’re allergic to strawberries, you can use raspberries or cherries instead (fresh or frozen) to achieve the same blood red color.
I also opted for store bough pie crust to save time, but you can always make your own instead.
- 4 c. strawberries
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 3/4 c. water
- 3 tbsp. cornstarch
- lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- Bring all ingredients to a boil in a small sauce pan, stirring constantly and slightly crush the berries with a spoon.
- After 2 minutes, remove from heat, pour into bowl and cool.
- Roll out pie dough and cut two pieces using the bottom of the press as a pattern.
- Using your fingers, press dough into the mold and top with 2 tablespoons of filling (within 1/2 in. of edges).
- Brush dough edges with egg wash and lay second piece of dough on top.
- Close press to crimp edges and seal pie, and trim excess dough if necessary.
- Brush top of pie with egg wash and pierce with a fork.
- Bake 18-20 minutes at 400° or until golden.